Double call for applications
Artistic residency at Salon58 + presentation at La Chapelle Scènes Contemporaines (Montreal)
Professional multidisciplinary artists in the performing arts based in Gaspésie are invited to apply until June 15, 2022, to obtain support in the form of an artistic residency at Salon58 (Marsoui) from November 18 to 27, 2022, combined with a professional presentation of their work at La Chapelle Scènes Contemporaines (Montreal) in the 2024-2025 season.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Only professional artists whose main place of residence is in Gaspésie can apply. Are considered professional artists who enjoy the recognition of their peers (participation in professional projects, presentation of their work in a professional context), whether they are self-taught or graduates of an art school .
PART 1: RESIDENCY OFFERED BY SALON58
From November 18 to 27, 2022
This is a shared residency: the artist is invited solo and will share the workspaces with two other artists from the Salon58 program. Each artist works on his or her project(s), but coexists throughout the period. Each artist has their own room. At the end of the residency, the artists meet the local public as part of a public evening. The residency offered by Salon58 consists of 10 days at Salon58 — i.e. 2 days of travel, 7 days of work and 1 day dedicated to a public presentation at Salon58.
CONDITIONS OFFERED AT SALON58
• A fee of $1,200 (+ taxes if applicable)
• Accommodation in shared formula, with private room
• Transport and meals are offered by Salon58
PART 2: PRESENTATION AT LA CHAPELLE SCÈNES CONTEMPORAINES
In the 2024-2025 season
The selected artist must initiate or plan to carry out a performance project or stage show that could benefit from professional presentation in the 2024-2025 season of La Chapelle Scènes Contemporaines, a multidisciplinary presenter for 32 years in Montreal.
CONDITIONS OFFERED AT LA CHAPELLE SCÈNES CONTEMPORAINES
• A guaranteed fee between $1,200 and $1,500 (+ taxes if applicable) per performance
• 4 presentations of the work – 4 nights in the 2024-2025 season
• Residency with technical support for 1 week in 2024-2025
HOW TO DEPOSIT?
Artists are invited to apply by sending the items below to email@example.com:
• Curriculum vitae of the artist
• Written one-page presentation of the project OR 3-minute presentation in the form of an audio (mp3 or hyperlink) or video (mp4, quicktime or vimeo/YouTube hyperlink) file.
DEADLINE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Deadline for submission: June 15, 2022
• Announcement of results: all those who apply will receive a response no later than June 30, 2022
• Unveiling of the artists of the Salon58 2022-2023 program: the announcement of the selected artist will be under embargo until September 2022
• The selected artist remains responsible for obtaining the necessary funding for the production of their work. The fees offered by Salon58 and La Chapelle only cover artistic residencies and the presentation of the work. All production costs are the responsibility of the artist, who remains the producer of his work.
• The selection will be made based on the quality of the artistic approach and the relevance of the subject, while taking into account the context of the residency.
Salon58 is a cultural space located in Marsoui (Gaspésie), which focuses on artistic experimentation, multidisciplinarity and proximity to the public, encouraging encounters on a human scale. Produced by Mandoline Hybride, since 2018 the project has hosted artists in residence, intimate concerts and screenings under the stars, as well as various cultural activities. To find out more about the program and the location: mandolinehybride.com/salon58.
Salon58 artistic residencies are shared residencies. The artists are accommodated in individual rooms with their own work desk, while sharing the common spaces during the week (boudoir, living room/piano/movement space, workshop, kitchen). It will therefore be possible to exchange with one or two other artists in residence at the same time. Salon58 lends itself more to thinking, writing, solo movement work and building small set pieces. Access to a large dance studio can be discussed according to the needs of the artist. The place is not equipped to work on lighting, large scenographies, heavy carpentry work, etc. High speed internet is available at Salon58 and is very efficient. However, note that there is no cellular network on site. It takes 5 minutes by car to get the network.
ABOUT LA CHAPELLE SCÈNES CONTEMPORAINES
Located a stone’s throw from bustling Saint-Laurent Boulevard, in the heart of Montreal, La Chapelle was founded in 1990. It is both a space for creation, a center for the presentation of shows and an organization dedicated to the promotion of the living arts, favoring young creation as well as interdisciplinary and alternative forms.
La Chapelle’s programming offers Francophone and Anglophone theatre, contemporary dance, performances, circus arts, music and multidisciplinary works that transcend art forms. Welcoming artists from the local scene as well as those from abroad, La Chapelle is a crossroads for encounters and reflection, a catalyst for contemporary creation, a vehicle for the dissemination of the performing arts in all their diversity and complexity. Guided by the passion to broadcast innovative events and by a commitment to the influence of creative artists, La Chapelle’s mission is to energize the professional environment, to develop a public sensitive to transversal approaches and, above all, to enrich the contemporary artistic heritage.
Gabriel Theriault | Director’s Assistant
La Chapelle Scènes Contemporaines
514 987-1639 (ext. 1)